This is Sherol. While I’m sure there are many perspectives on PT2014, I wanted to give my personal recap.
First of all, it went beyond what I could’ve imagined. I think I like how Kassa put it best, but it only makes sense when he says it. You can see for yourself the quality of the talks, because our Media Chair, Elliot did a fantastic job coordinating.
The second official Passion Talks Conference happened on August 23rd, 2014. We had 86 people registered to attend this day long event in Berkeley. We had 20 talks, including a keynote by Dr. Lara Buchak. This time around, we had so many wonderful talks that we needed to split the conference into two tracks. Talks ranged from design, education, business, physics, mathematics, technology, environment, health, and other topics.
Please feel free to email me if you are interested in helping with PT15. Now’s the time to get involved!
Links to the videos are at the bottom of this post. Talks were given by experts, professionals, PhD’s, doctors, and graduate students.
- 9:00 – Breakfast & Coffee (Provided*)
- 9:30 – 10:30 Keynote (Dr. Lara Buchak) (Welcome note by Paul)
Session I Talks
- 10:30 – 10:50 : Impossibility (Elliott Slaughter)
- 10:50 – 11:10 : Mathematics and the Sovereignty of God (Will Johnson)
- 11:10 – 11:30 : In Awe of God’s Creation at the Molecular Level
- 11:30 – 11:50 : Reflections on Adaboost (TJ Tsai)
- 10:30 – 10:50 : A Design Vision in South Africa (Ann Ku)
- 10:50 – 11:10 : Overturning the Desks in the Classroom (Jerome Fang)
- 11:10 – 11:30 : A theology of higher education
- 11:30 – 11:50 : How the development of our entertainment and media should inform our empathy
- 1:30 – 1:50 : ELF/VLF Signals in Space
- 1:50 – 2:10 : Truth Cannot Contradict Truth (Paul Riggins)
- 2:10 – 2:30 : Emergent space-time
- 1:30 – 1:50 : The Impact of the Natural, Built, and Spiritual Environments on Human Health (Tomás León)
- 1:50 – 2:10 : The Scarcity of Life-Giving Water: a Christian Perspective on Climate Change (Jeff H0)
- 2:10 – 2:30 : Frugal Engineering for Global Health, Environmental Monitoring and Education (George Korir)
- 3:00 – 3:20 : Renewing your Mind…and Brain
- 3:20 – 3:40 : The Figure of the Home
- 3:40 – 4:00 : What Does it Mean to be Human? (Wendy Quay)
- 3:00 – 3:20 : Seeds of Hope in Fields of Despair
- 3:20 – 3:40 : Do You See What I See? : The Importance of Vision in My Intellectual, Professional and Faith Life
- 3:40 – 4:00 : Rethinking Urban Informality
The archive of the PT14 Berkeley registration site can be found at: http://pt14.passiontalks.org